Designed by Richard Morrison, the size and architectural quality of this courthouse makes it one of the most impressive public buildings in the town.
Built in c. 1810, it is a seven-bay two-storey court house located at a junction of three roads and occupies a dominant position in the streetscape.
A major refurbishment project was completed. The project involved the renovation and restoration of the listed courthouse and the addition of an extension to the building to meet modern requirements. There are four courtrooms for sittings of the High, Circuit and District Courts. A family law suite comprises a courtroom with judges' chambers, two consultation rooms and two waiting rooms and is situated away from the business of the other courtrooms. The extension also includes a witness/victim support room and accommodation for court staff. A major achievement of the project is the skilful integration of the complex functional requirements of a modern court building into the constraints of the existing building whilst preserving and restoring the historic architectural features.
Trim Courthouse is supported by Trim Court Office.