Fermoy Courthouse is referred to in Samuel Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Ireland as a neat and appropriate building, at the east end of the town, erected in 1808. The present appearance of the building has changed since this time. However a great deal survives from earlier periods.
Fermoy, a town with roots in two contrasting traditions; one monastic and the other military, is situated on the River Blackwater.
A major refurbishment project between the Courts Service and Cork County Council was completed in 2007. The overall project included the total refurbishment and extension to the existing Fermoy Courthouse, the construction of a new Civic Office complex to accommodate Fermoy Town Council and the Local County Council Engineer’s Office.
The alterations to the courthouse included the development of facilities for staff and members of the legal profession along with two new prisoner-remand rooms and a secure interview room on the ground floor with their own separate access. Internally, much has been retained, including the plan form (apart from rooms to the south of the main courtroom), original staircase, sheeted timber ceilings, doors and associated joinery, and as much of the main courtroom furniture as was feasible to hold in keeping with the court’s requirements.
Fermoy Courthouse is supported by Mallow Court Office.