The original courthouse was constructed circa 1884.
The original courthouse was constructed circa 1884. It has five bays and two storeys with an extension at each end comprising entrances and stairways. The courthouse follows a standard courthouse design attributed to William Caldbeck. It has a typically well designed Classical style employing good stonework detailing and early use of cast-iron for building components.
By 1998, the building required total refurbishment as it was completely infected with dry rot, wet rot and beetle attack. The refurbished building includes a large accessible courtroom with judge’s chamber to the rear, a legal practitioners’ room, consultation rooms, toilet facilities and disabled access.
Carrickmacross Courthouse is supported by Monaghan Court Office.