The building, originally built as the Tate School between 1864 and 1866, was opened on 18th March 1867. The existing building on the site is a substantial building and represents an important element of the mid nineteenth-century architectural legacy of Wexford.
The site for the school was purchased for £350. The school closed in 1949 and was sold to Wexford Corporation for £5,000 in 1950.
The new building and the refurbishment of the existing building allows the Courts Service to provide appropriate modern facilities while contributing to the ongoing regeneration and evolution of the town. It provides significantly improved and accessible courthouse facilities for all its users. The building composition respects the existing building and uses similar high quality stone and brick materials whilst providing a contemporary expression of an important civic function.
A new public entrance forecourt has been provided which is framed by the existing building, the new public entrance, and a pedestrian canopy entrance. Internally the building is organized around the centrally located courtrooms. There are two courtrooms at first floor level and two at second floor level. Support offices are located at ground floor level and within the existing building, which enjoy attractive views outwards towards the river. The design provides natural daylight to all courtrooms and public circulation areas.
Wexford Courthouse is supported by Wexford Court Office.