Drogheda was founded as an Anglo-Norman town with the first town charter dating from 1194. It was a walled town surrounded by medieval defences enclosing 113 acres with a circumference of 2.3km. The new courthouse is within the old walled area and the route of the old town wall can be seen on the part of the public plaza closest to the river.
The courthouse, which opened in July 2017, has two double height courtrooms and ancillary accommodation for judges, staff, practitioners, vulnerable witnesses and persons in custody. The floor plans are organised around the central courtrooms allowing the public, judge, jury and persons in custody to enter from distinctly different directions.
Drogheda Courthouse is supported by Dundalk Court Office.