English VersionIrish Version
Search for Click to Search
Advanced Search
Printable Version
All SectionsPractice DirectionsCourt Rules Terms & Sittings
Legal Diary Offices & Maps Judgments & Determinations

Guidelines for ... issuing a judicial review under order 84 rule 20 Rules of the Superior Courts.

A judicial review is a process where a person can apply to court to have a decision of a public or administrative body overturned. A judicial review application may also be made where a public or administrative body has failed to make a decision.

1. To start the judicial review case you will require three documents

  • A statement of grounds
  • A grounding affidavit
  • An ex parte docket


2. The documents for a judicial review are filed in the Central Office of the High Court, Four Courts, Dublin 7.

3. The documents filed should be on A4 size paper.

4. To issue the documents you should check the following;

  • You have paid the correct court fee
  • You have enclosed two copies of your documents - which will be returned to you
  • You have included a stamped self-addressed envelope, if filing by post
  • If the applicant is a minor, a minor consent form signed by the next friend must be attached


5. File your documents in the Central Office of the High Court and on a Monday morning in term make the ex-parte application to court for leave (permission) to bring the judicial review case. The time and venue for this application will be published in the legal diary. The application to bring a judicial review will be either granted or refused and a court order will issue confirming this.

6. More information on the layout of and what is required for the statement of grounds is set out in order 84 rule 20 and Appendix T forms no. 13 & 14 in the Rules of the Superior Courts.

This check-list covers procedural points only - exceptional cases will require further consideration. It sets out the minimum requirements contained in the Rules of the Superior Courts (S.I. No. 15 of 1986). Details of court fees are set out in the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court Fees Order.


Note: This is not a legal document and it does not purport to give legal advice. If you need legal advice you should consult a solicitor.



Page updated: 29 November 2016