Home
English VersionIrish Version
Search for Click to Search
Advanced Search
Printable Version
All SectionsPractice DirectionsCourt Rules Terms & Sittings
Legal Diary Offices & Maps Judgments & Determinations

Important dates

1998:

The Courts Service Act establishes the Courts Service

1948:

Irish Republic established

1937:

Enactment of Bunreacht na hÉireann

1923 - 1931:

Courts sit in Dublin Castle

1923:

Civil War ends

1922:

Establishment of the Irish Free State. Occupation of Four Courts by Rory O'Connor. Shelling precipitates two explosions destroying Records Office and dome. Fire guts the building. The Civil War continues. Rebuilding begins under T.J. Byrne - interior of the Four Courts radically redesigned.

1921:

Anglo Irish Treaty signed

1897:

Law Library moves to east wing, barristers robing rooms move from cellars under Round Hall to old library

Late 1830s:

New building period under Jacob Owen. Northern Block commenced. New rolls and nisi prius courts erected. Accommodation provided for probate, bankruptcy and land judges, new Public Records Office, Registry of Deeds built

1796:

Courts move to Inns Quay

1794:

Dome completed

1785:

Plan for Four Courts approved by Duke of Rutland

1783:

Death of Cooley. Project comes under charge of James Gandon

1776:

Servants of the Crown enter onto the land at Blackfriars and begin work on public offices designed by Thomas Cooley.

Mid 18th century:

Accommodation at Christchurch increasingly inadequate, Kings Inns premises falls into disrepair

1608:

Courts move to Christchurch. Nearby is the laneway known as 'Hell'. Land at Blackfriars passes into the possession of the Society of Kings Inns

Early 17th century:

Courts move to Blackfriars mooted. Successfully resisted by the inhabitants of the walled city south of the river.

16th century:

Accommodation of Courts at the Castle becomes increasingly cramped with fire and explosion highlighting the need for safer premises

1520:

Trinity Term - Four Courts moved temporarily to Dominican Priory of St. Saviour (Blackfriars) on site of modern Four Courts

13th & 14th centuries:

Courts follow the location of the residence of the King's Governor, the Lord Deputy, most often in Dublin Castle, briefly in St. Patrick's Cathedral

1171:

 Henry  II follows and reasserts royal authority

1169:

Norman invasion of Wexford by Strongbow (Richard FitzGilbert, Earl of Pembroke)